January 21, 2023
The County of Hawai‘i Department of Environmental Management, Solid Waste Division & State Department of Health is sponsoring a free electronics recycling collection event for households, businesses, government agencies and non-profits.
Acceptable electronics include: TVs, computers, laptops, monitors, printers/fax machines/multi-function printers, VCRs, CD/DVD players, stereo receivers/amplifiers (no speakers), UPS systems, digital cameras, mobile and landline telephones only.
Businesses and agencies will be required to schedule an appointment for drop-off and provide a detailed list of electronic items they want to recycle. There is a limit of one pallet-load per business or agency customer. Businesses or agencies without an appointment or quantities exceeding their scheduled list of items will be disallowed. For appointments please contact Mr. K's Recycle & Redemption at 808-969-1222 to schedule or for more information.
Physical Distancing Rules For Electronics Recycling Collection Events
These rules are for your safety and the safety of the staff conducting these events. Please kōkua and thank you for doing your part to keep these events safe for all participants.
- Remain in your vehicle unless directed by authorized personnel.
- Prior to arriving at the event, place your items in your trunk or truck bed. Make sure your trunk can be unlocked or opened remotely. If you don’t have a trunk or truck bed, preferably place your materials in unlocked unoccupied backseat area.
- To minimize interactions, please label your items (if possible) and make sure that your items are easily distinguishable and separate from anything else in your trunk or truck bed.
- Six (6) foot physical distancing and facial masks are recommended.
- If you are feeling ill or showing symptoms of illness please consider postponing your participation in our event or designate someone else to drop off your materials.
Anyone who requires an auxiliary aid or service for effective communication (including language interpreting) or a modification of policies or procedures to participate in this event should contact Chris at 961-8554 as soon as possible, but no later January 13, 2023.
A more permanent electronics recycling solution will be coming in the new calendar year.
The State of Hawai‘i recently enacted Act 151 (2022), which mandates that “Manufacturers must fully fund their recycling plan, including the collection, transportation, and recycling of all [specified] electronic devices in the State.” These plans include “Manufacturer recycling goals,” and the plans “shall provide collection services at a minimum of once per month” “at no cost to the owner” in certain population centers (e.g. Kailua-Kona and/or Hilo) starting in January 2023.
75-1027 Henry Street
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740