It’s simple, everyone can do it!
|The Cardboard & Brown Paper Bags bin is for corrugated cardboard and brown kraft paper bags.||The Glass container is for small glass containers
only. No HI-5 containers. Details »
When in doubt, leave it out. Don’t wish-cycle.
Residents are allowed to use the Two-Bin recycling bins at County Recycling and Transfer Stations. These stations are closed for New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day and are open according to the schedule on our Facilities page.
Businesses are not allowed to use the Two-Bin system. Please contact one of the following local recycling companies to find out what materials they accept for commercial recycling.
- Atlas Recycling Centers LLC, 935-9328 (cardboard)
- Business Services Hawaii, 966-7489
- Mr. K’s Recycle & Redemption, 969-1222 (cardboard)
- Eco-Trash, 443-6236
FOLLOW THE RULES
Recycling works only when you follow the rules about what can and cannot be placed in the bins. If the wrong materials are placed inside the bin the result could be the entire contents of the bin may end up in the landfill instead of recycled. Because it costs more to sort out contaminants, that’s taxpayer dollars that could be used for something else. Just because you think it is recyclable doesn’t mean we accept it. We appreciate your support in following the rules.
When in doubt, leave it out!
All items placed in the Two-Bin system must be clean and labels do not have to be removed. Unacceptable items/contamination increases processing and your taxpayer cost. Contaminated items will be disposed in the landfill.
Changes to County of Hawai‘i Two-Bin Recycling Program – New List of Acceptable Materials Starting October 16, 2019
Due to significant decreases in the global market for recyclables the County of Hawai‘i will no longer accept some of the types of materials collected in the Two-Bin Recycling Program at the Recycling & Transfer Stations. However, the County will continue its ongoing efforts to evaluate potential alternatives to remain environmentally and economically responsible.
The Two-Bin Recycling Program will collect only (Starting October 16, 2019):
- Corrugated cardboard. No food or other contamination (e.g. pizza boxes)
- Brown kraft paper bags (e.g. paper shopping bags)
- Glass bottles and jars will continue to be collected in separate glass bin (clean non-HI-5 containers such as wine bottles, pickle jars, cosmetic jars). No caps, covers or lids.
Small clean metal cans (e.g. soup, canned meat & vegetables, pet food) and clean metal caps/covers/lids will no longer be allowed in the Two-Bin Recycling Program; they may be recycled in the scrap metal bins at select Recycling & Transfer Stations.
Hawai‘i County Gets Picky About Recyclables It Accepts, Citing Global Market Forces (Hawai‘i Public Radio article)
CORRUGATED CARDBOARD AND BROWN KRAFT PAPER BAGS ONLY IN ONE BIN.
- corrugated cardboard (please flatten all boxes)
- corrugated cardboard is the brown packaging material that consists of a corrugated sheet sandwiched between two flat layers, it is typically used to manufacture boxes.
- brown kraft paper bags (e.g. paper shopping bags)
Do not insert recyclables in plastic bags and place them in the recyclables bins.
The Volcano Recycling & Transfer Station glass bin will be locked from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. daily. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please do not leave your glass containers during the closures.
Do NOT place the following in the Two-Bin system:
- Contaminated materials that are dirty – have food residue, oil or other contaminants on them.
Plastics (All types and forms, including plastic bags)
- Boxboard or paperboard (e.g cereal boxes, beer bottle holders or soda can cartons)
- Office paper
- Junk mail
- Wax or plastic coated containers or wax paper, metallic or metal foil coated papers (i.e. juice foil bags, milk/juice cartons, soup foil-pack cartons or microwaveable foil-lined bags for crisping food). Cartons are also known as gable-top aseptic containers.
- Paper towels, paper plates/cups, napkins, facial tissues
- Parchment paper
- Photographic paper
- Shredded paper
- Window glass panes, jalousies or louvers, mirrors and windshields. aquarium tanks.
- Lighting fixtures (lamps, chandeliers, sconces and etc.).
- Light bulbs (incandescent, fluorescent, LED, UV and HPS) are not acceptable.
- CRT (cathode ray tube) TVs or monitors
- Clean metal cans and metal caps/covers/ids (can be recycled in Transfer Station scrap metal bins)
- Empty or filled spray cans (aerosol cleaners, hairspray, poisons, paints and etc.)
- Empty or filled compressed gas containers (propane tanks, butane canisters, camp stove gas containers)
- Metal squeezable tubes (e.g. toothpaste or adhesives)
- Single-use aluminum pie/loaf pans
- Aluminum foil
- Do not fill plastic bags with recyclable materials and put the whole bag in the bin. Instead empty the contents of the bag in the bin and dispose of the plastic bag with your regular rubbish.