County of Hawai‘i Solid Waste Facilities
County of Hawai‘i Public Facilities are comprised of two (2) landfills and twenty-one (21) Transfer Stations. For detailed information, download the Transfer Station Hours of Operation, Solid Waste Public Facilities Map, and Map & Directions to Solid Waste Division Facilities. If you have a GPS device or internet mapping service here are the Locations of the Solid Waste Division Facilities in latitude & longitude coordinates. Note: Most of our locations do not have designated street addresses or phone numbers.
HOURS OF OPERATIONS:
All County Solid Waste Division Facilities are closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- South Hilo Sanitary Landfill (SHSL): 6:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.
- West Hawai‘i Sanitary Landfill (WHSL): 7:00 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. CLOSED SUNDAYS (effective August 1, 2010)
- All Residential Recycling & Transfer Stations accept household self-haul rubbish at no charge (no commercial or farm waste allowed):
New Operating Schedule for Solid Waste Recycling & Transfer Stations (EFFECTIVE AUGUST 1, 2010)
Facility Hours Days Glenwood 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sunday/Tuesday/Friday Hawaiian Ocean View Estates 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Saturdays only Hāwī 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Open Daily Hilo 6:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Open Daily Honoka‘a 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Open Daily Honomū 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday/Thursday/Saturday Kailua-Kona 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Open Daily Kalapana 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday/Thursday/Saturday Kea‘au 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Open Daily Keauhou 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Open Daily Ke‘ei 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sunday/Tuesday/Friday Laupāhoehoe 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sunday/Tuesday/Friday Miloli‘i Sunrise to Sunset Open Daily Pa‘auilo 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday/Thursday/Saturday Pāhala 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sunday/Tuesday/Friday Pāhoa 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Open Daily Pāpa‘ikou 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sunday/Tuesday/Friday Puakō 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sunday/Tuesday/Friday Volcano 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday/Thursday/Saturday Waiea 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday/Thursday/Saturday Waimea 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Open Daily Wai‘ōhinu 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Open Daily
- Scrap Metal Recycling Facilities: Hilo and Kealakehe/Kailua-Kona Scrap Metal Facilities, Daily 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Scrap Metal facilities/bins accept self-hauled materials from household generators. No commercial or agency material allowed.
- Greenwaste Recycling Facilities: East Hawai‘i Organics Facility - Daily 6:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.; West Hawai‘i Organics Facility - 7:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. (Closed Sundays); Kealakehe Greenwaste Facility - 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., load size restrictions for Kealakehe apply see Greenwaste page. Greenwaste accepts materials from both households and commercial businesses.
Thank you for your kōkua in protecting our environment.
RULES FOR TRANSFER STATIONS:
A. GENERAL RULES:
- All materials shall be deposited directly into the container. Waste disposed of outside of the containers constitutes illegal dumping.
- Burning of refuse is extremely dangerous and is not allowed.
- Scavenging is not permitted.
- The County expects recycling of greenwaste whenever possible - including shrubbery, palm fronds, tree cuttings & grass clippings at the Greenwaste Recycling Facilities located at the East Hawai‘i and West Hawai‘i Organics Facilities, or at designated bins at specific Recycling & Transfer Stations.
- Scrap Metal, including white goods (refrigerators, stoves, etc.), is expected to be recycled at either the Kealakehe/Kailua-Kona or Hilo Scrap Metal Facilities, or at designated bin at specific Recycling & Transfer Stations, and should not be put into Transfer Station refuse containers.
B. PERMITTED MATERIALS:
- Household refuse, residential do-it-yourself construction and demolition not exceeding 4 feet in length, soft compactable bulky items (mattresses, stuffed chairs, and couches) and residential self-hauled greenwaste.
C. PROHIBITED MATERIALS:
- Prohibited materials shall include all commercially hauled rubbish, garbage, swill or refuse, prohibited materials as defined by the State Department of Health, refuse generated by a business, Federal or State agency, religious entity or nonprofit organization.
- No abandoned vehicles. Check http://www.hawaiizerowaste.org/recycle/automotive/ or the phone directory for options.
- No tires; including cut, sliced, chipped or shredded.
- No wastes from manufacturing, industrial or agricultural processes (e.g. farms). No hard bulky items, such as hide-a-beds with metal frames. These items must be taken directly to the South Hilo or West Hawai‘i Sanitary Landfills. Any oversized items may be assessed an additional special handling fee in addition to the regular landfill tipping fee.
- No materials from either commercial/business construction or demolition work.
- No asbestos waste. Asbestos waste is accepted at West Hawai’i Sanitary Landfill only (contact Waste Management @ 886-0940)
- No canec building material waste. Canec waste is accepted at West Hawai’i Sanitary Landfill only (contact Waste Management @ 886-0940)
- No dead animals, animal parts or other similar organic wastes. Disposal at landfill by appointment only, please call 961-8663 (Hilo) or 886-8059 (Pu‘uanahulu).
- No hazardous or radioactive wastes including fluorescent light bulbs, batteries, and e-waste shall be thrown down the chutes.
- No landscape contractors or commercial haulers of residential greenwaste materials. Take to designated greenwaste facilities.
D. PENALTIES: Any violation of this article is a petty misdemeanor. In addition to the petty misdemeanor, any person who violates the provisions of this article shall, upon conviction, be required to remove their refuse or shall be liable for the costs of removing that refuse. Each day of violation shall constitute a separate offense. (County Code §20-45)
E. NO COMMERCIAL REFUSE, COMMERCIALLY HAULED RESIDENTIAL WASTES OR COMMERCIAL HAULERS ALLOWED! Please see rules for LANDFILL DISPOSAL below.
RULES FOR Landfill Disposal:
A. GENERAL RULES:
LANDFILL DISPOSAL PERMITS:
- Required for commercial disposal of waste at both the SHSL in East Hawai‘i and at the WHSL in Pu‘uanahulu.
- Solid Waste Facility Disposal Permit Applications are available at the Department of Environmental Management office at the Puainako Town Center.
DEAD ANIMALS, ANIMAL PARTS or SIMILAR ORGANIC WASTES; MEDICAL WASTES, OVERSIZED and OTHER SPECIAL HANDLING WASTES:
Disposal at landfill by appointment only, please call 961-8663 (Hilo) or 886-8059 (Pu‘uanahulu).
B. HOURS OF OPERATION:
- South Hilo Sanitary Landfill (SHSL): 6:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.
- West Hawai’i Sanitary Landfill (WHSL): 7:00 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. (CLOSED SUNDAYS, effective August 1, 2010)
C. LANDFILL TIP FEE RATES & PAYMENT OPTIONS:
- Currently the landfill tip fee rate is $85.00 per ton (pro-rated for any fraction thereof). Hawai‘i County Code §20-49 (a)(1)(A)
- Special Handling fee of $85.00 per load or fraction thereof will be assessed on special categories of commodities to be landfilled and for any material deemed to require special handling (e.g. oversized material). Questions? Call South Hilo Sanitary Landfill at 961-8663 or West Hawai‘i Sanitary Landfill (Pu‘uanahulu) at 886-8059. Hawai‘i County Code §20-49 (a)(1)(C)
- We accept checks and credit cards with proper identification. Sorry, we do NOT accept cash.
In accordance with applicable Federal, State and Local laws and regulations. Local laws and regulations include, but not limited to: "Hawai’i County Code, Chapter 20: Refuse" and "County of Hawai’i - Department of Environmental Management – Solid Waste Division – Administrative Rules for Solid Waste Refuse Control and Disposal Fees."
|County of Hawai‘i Solid Waste Division Informational Sheet.pdf||648 KB|