General Information, Maps & Directions to Solid Waste Division Facilities:
County of Hawai‘i Solid Waste Division Public Facilities are comprised of two (2) landfills and twenty-two (22) Recycling & Transfer Stations. For more detailed information, download one of the following documents:
Solid Waste Division Public Facilities Map
Map and Directions to County of Hawaii Solid Waste Facilities
County of Hawai‘i Solid Waste Division Recycling Facility GPS Locations (If you have a GPS device or internet mapping service)
Or use the online Arc GIS to get locations & general descriptions of facilities.
Note: Most of our locations do not have designated street addresses or phone numbers.
The County of Hawai‘i does not provide curbside business or household rubbish or recyclables collection services, please look in your local phonebook or online for a listing of rubbish/recyclables haulers/collectors.
HOURS OF OPERATIONS:
All County Solid Waste Division Facilities are closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. We may also be closed for natural disasters or other emergencies, or special events (e.g. Ironman Triathlon) please check the announcements on the home page for any closure or service interruption notices.
- South Hilo Sanitary Landfill (SHSL): 6:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. (CLOSED 12:00 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.)
- West Hawai‘i Sanitary Landfill (WHSL): 7:00 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. (CLOSED SUNDAYS)
- All Residential Recycling & Transfer Stations accept household generated self-haul rubbish at no charge (no commercial or farm waste allowed):
- Operating Schedule for Solid Waste Recycling & Transfer Stations (updated August 4, 2016) see below table
Facility Hours Days Glenwood 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sunday/Tuesday/Friday Hāwī (Ka‘auhuhu) 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Open Daily Hilo 6:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Open Daily Honoka‘a 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Open Daily Honomū 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday/Thursday/Saturday Kailua-Kona 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Open Daily Kalapana 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday/Thursday/Saturday Kea‘au 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Open Daily Keauhou 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Open Daily Ke‘ei 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sunday/Tuesday/Friday Laupāhoehoe 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sunday/Tuesday/Friday Miloli‘i Sunrise to Sunset Open Daily Ocean View 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Saturdays only Pa‘auilo 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday/Thursday/Saturday Pāhala 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sunday/Tuesday/Friday/Saturday Pāhoa 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Open Daily Pāpa‘ikou 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sunday/Tuesday/Friday Puakō 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sunday/Tuesday/Friday Volcano 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday/Thursday/Saturday Waiea 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday/Thursday/Saturday Waimea 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Open Daily Wai‘ōhinu 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Open Daily
- Scrap Metal Recycling
- Scrap Metal Recycling Collection Sites: Hilo and Kealakehe (Kailua-Kona) Scrap Metal Collection Sites, Daily 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Other Scrap Metal Collection Sites: Honoka‘a, Kea‘au, Laupāhoehoe, Pāhala, Pāhoa, Ka‘auhuhu/Hāwī, Ke‘ei, Puakō, Wai‘ōhinu and Waimea Recycling & Transfer Stations; open during normal Transfer Station hours of operation only.
- Scrap Metal collection sites/bins accept self-hauled materials from household generators. No commercial or agency material allowed, prohibited by law.
- Scrap metal should be free of all rubbish, lubricants and fuels.
- Greenwaste Recycling
- Greenwaste Recycling Facilities: East Hawai‘i Organics Facility (EHOF in Hilo) – Daily 6:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. (CLOSED 12:00 p.m. to 12:30 p.m. daily); West Hawai‘i Organics Facility (WHOF in Pu‘uanahulu) – 7:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. (Closed Sundays); Greenwaste Recycling Facilities WHOF & EHOF accept materials from both households and commercial businesses.
- Greenwaste Collection Sites at Recycling & Transfer Stations (household self-haul customers only. no businesses or farms allowed, prohibited by law): Kealakehe Greenwaste Collection Site – 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., load size restrictions for Kealakehe apply see Greenwaste page. Kea‘au, Pāhoa, Volcano and Waimea Greenwaste Collection Sites – 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., load size restrictions apply.
Thank you for your kōkua in protecting our environment.
RULES FOR TRANSFER STATIONS:
A. GENERAL RULES:
- All materials shall be deposited directly into the container. Waste disposed of outside of the containers constitutes illegal dumping. (County Code §20-43 (d))
- Burning of refuse is extremely dangerous and is not allowed. (County Code §20-44)
- Scavenging is not permitted. (County Code §20-42 and H.A.R. §11-58.1-04(i)(1)(F)(2))
- The County expects recycling of greenwaste whenever possible – including shrubbery, palm fronds, tree cuttings & grass clippings at the Greenwaste Recycling Facilities located at the East Hawai‘i and West Hawai‘i Organics Facilities, or at designated bins at specific Recycling & Transfer Stations.
- Scrap Metal, including white goods/appliances (refrigerators, stoves, etc.), is expected to be recycled at either the Kealakehe/Kailua-Kona or Hilo Scrap Metal Facilities, or at designated bin at specific Recycling & Transfer Stations, and should not be put into Transfer Station refuse containers.
B. PERMITTED MATERIALS:
- Household refuse, residential do-it-yourself construction and demolition not exceeding 4 feet in length, soft compactable bulky items (mattresses, stuffed chairs, and couches) and residential self-hauled greenwaste. (County Code §20-43(b)(1))
- Residential ‘Do-It-Yourself’ generators of Construction and Demolition debris (C&D) disposing of wastes at any County Transfer Station are allowed only one (1) C&D load per customer per day. C&D load shall not exceed 5 cubic yards. (e.g. 5 cubic yards is equivalent to one (1) full sized pick-up truck with 8 foot long bed filled to its entirety up to the top of the cab level)
- If during a single day period a Residential ‘Do-It-Yourself’ generator has a second load of C&D material they are allowed to take the second load (< 5 cubic yards) directly to the landfill (not the Transfer Station). Tip fees will apply. Loads greater than 5 cubic yards will need to be accompanied by a County approved Notice of Authorization to Dispose of Construction & Commercial Waste.
- Residential ‘Do-It-Yourself’ generators are allowed only one (1) C&D load per customer per day at the landfill.
- Residential ‘Do-It-Yourself’ generators of C&D material exceeding the one load per day limits may dispose of an additional load (based on limitations above) the following day during normal operating hours.
C. PROHIBITED MATERIALS:
- Prohibited materials shall include all commercially hauled rubbish, garbage, swill or refuse, prohibited materials as defined by the State Department of Health, refuse generated by a business, Federal or State agency, religious entity or nonprofit organization. (County Code §20-43 (b)(2))
- No abandoned vehicles. (County Code §20-43 (b)(2)) Check http://www.hawaiizerowaste.org/recycle/automotive/ or the phone directory for options.
- No tires; including cut, sliced, chipped or shredded tires. (County Code §20-46 (b))
- No wastes from manufacturing, industrial or agricultural processes (e.g. farms). No hard bulky items, such as hide-a-beds with metal frames. These items must be taken directly to the South Hilo or West Hawai‘i Sanitary Landfills. Any oversized items may be assessed an additional special handling fee in addition to the regular landfill tipping fee. (County Code §20-43 (b)(2))
- No materials from either commercial/business construction or demolition work. (County Code §20-43 (b)(2))
- No residential do-it-yourself construction and demolition debris (C&D) loads exceeding 5 cubic yards. C&D loads exceeding 5 cubic yards will be directed to the landfill, where customer may dispose of large loads of C&D (>5 cubic yards) with County approved Notice of Authorization to Dispose of Construction & Commercial Waste. Tip fees will apply.
- No asbestos waste. Asbestos waste is accepted at West Hawai’i Sanitary Landfill only (contact Waste Management @ 886-0940) (County Code §20-43 (b)(2))
- No canec building material waste. Canec waste is accepted at West Hawai’i Sanitary Landfill only (contact Waste Management @ 886-0940) (County Code §20-43 (b)(2))
- No dead animals, animal parts or other similar organic wastes. Disposal at landfill by appointment only, please call 961-8663 (Hilo) or 886-8059 (Pu‘uanahulu). (County Code §20-37 (a) & §20-43 (a)(3))
- No propane, oxygen or acetylene tanks or compressed gas cylinders (County Code §20-31)
- No explosives, hazardous or radioactive wastes including fluorescent light bulbs, batteries, and e-waste shall be thrown down the chutes. (County Code §20-40)
- No landscape contractors or commercial haulers of residential greenwaste materials. Take to designated greenwaste facilities. (County Code §20-36 (c) & §20-43 (b)(2))
D. PENALTIES: Any violation of this article is a petty misdemeanor. In addition to the petty misdemeanor, any person who violates the provisions of this article shall, upon conviction, be required to remove their refuse or shall be liable for the costs of removing that refuse. Each day of violation shall constitute a separate offense. (County Code §20-45)
E. NO COMMERCIAL REFUSE, COMMERCIALLY HAULED RESIDENTIAL WASTES OR COMMERCIAL HAULERS ALLOWED! Please see rules for LANDFILL DISPOSAL below. (County Code §20-36 (c) & §20-43 (b)(2))
RULES FOR Landfill Disposal:
A. GENERAL RULES:
LANDFILL DISPOSAL PERMITS:
- Required for commercial disposal of waste at both the SHSL in East Hawai‘i and at the WHSL in Pu‘uanahulu.
- Solid Waste Facility Disposal Permit Application Form & Instructions (PDF) are available at the Department of Environmental Management office at the Waiākea Office Plaza.
- All commercially hauled loads of Construction and Demolition (C&D) or Grading and Grubbing material destined for the SHSL or WHSL shall be accompanied by a County approved Notice of Authorization to Dispose of Construction & Commercial Waste (NOA). To apply for an NOA please call 961-8270 or download the form. Hawai‘i County Code §5-28(a) and §20-43(c)
DEAD ANIMALS, ANIMAL PARTS or SIMILAR ORGANIC WASTES; MEDICAL WASTES, OVERSIZED and OTHER SPECIAL HANDLING WASTES:
Disposal at landfill by appointment only, please call 961-8663 (Hilo) or 886-8059 (Pu‘uanahulu).
COMMERCIAL, GOVERNMENT AGENCY, NON-PROFIT AND FARM GENERATED CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS (INCLUDING DEMOLITIONS AND DEBRIS) ARE PROHIBITED FROM DISPOSAL ON WEEKENDS AT THE SOUTH HILO SANITARY LANDFILL.
Commercial, government agency, non-profit and farm generated construction materials destined for the South Hilo Sanitary Landfill shall be scheduled for weekday disposal only. For more information please contact the Solid Waste Administrative Office at 961-8270.
B. HOURS OF OPERATION:
- South Hilo Sanitary Landfill (SHSL): 6:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. (CLOSED 12:00 p.m. to 12:30 p.m. daily)
- West Hawai’i Sanitary Landfill (WHSL): 7:00 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. (CLOSED SUNDAYS)
C. LANDFILL TIP FEE RATES & PAYMENT OPTIONS:
- Currently the landfill tip fee rate is $85.00 per ton (pro-rated for any fraction thereof). Hawai‘i County Code §20-49 (a)(1)(A)
- Special Handling fee of $85.00 per load or fraction thereof will be assessed on special categories of commodities to be landfilled and for any material deemed to require special handling (e.g. oversized material). Questions? Call South Hilo Sanitary Landfill at 961-8663 or West Hawai‘i Sanitary Landfill (Pu‘uanahulu) at 886-8059. Hawai‘i County Code §20-49 (a)(1)(C)
- We accept checks and credit cards with proper identification. Sorry, we do NOT accept cash.
- Starting July 1, 2015 businesses (including commercial haulers), agencies, farms and non-profits will be subject to a source-separated greenwaste tip fee of $21.25 per ton (pro-rated for any fraction thereof). Hawai‘i County Code §20-49 (a)(2)(B)
In accordance with applicable Federal, State and Local laws and regulations. Local laws and regulations include, but not limited to: “Hawai’i County Code, Chapter 20: Refuse” and “County of Hawai’i – Department of Environmental Management – Solid Waste Division – Administrative Rules for Solid Waste Refuse Control and Disposal Fees.”