There are many everyday household products that are also recyclable. Below is a list of some household products that are currently recyclable or can be diverted from the landfill. If you have suggestions or questions on any other commodities not listed here, please contact us so we can update our list. Mahalo for your kōkua!
Prescription drugs can be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events that happen every six months in Kona and Hilo, or every year in Waimea & Pāhoa. Please visit the Household Hazardous Waste page for more information on what is acceptable and when they occur. There are also various national programs for the take-back of prescription medications. For additional information, the following resources have been provided.
- "Proper Disposal of Home Health Care Waste" by the State of Hawai'i Dept. of Health
- CVS Longs & Walgreens both offer for sale postage-paid envelopes to return non-controlled substances medications for safe & proper disposal via Sharps Compliance, Inc.
- National Drug Take-Back Initiative collection events sponsored by federal Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), State Attorneys General and Local Law Enforcement Agencies
- The Drug Take-Back Network
- FDA Consumer Health Information - How to Dispose of Unused Medicines
- SMARxT Disposal - A partnership of the US Fish & Wildlife Service, American Pharmacists Association & Pharmaceutical Research & Manufacturers of America.
Paradise Yellow Pages (Yellowbook):
Great American Self Storage
74-5499 Loloku St.
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
Everyday 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Town & Country Moving & Storage
888 Kalanianaole Ave Ste #B
Hilo, HI 96720
Mon. - Fri. 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
969-1911 - Call first
Styrofoam® or Expanded Polystyrene (foamy #6 resin code plastic)
Mr. K's Recycle & Redemption
815 Kino'ole St., Hilo (next to K's Drive-In & Kadota Liquors)
Open daily, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Intact Bubble-wrap & Foam peanuts drop-offs:
- Copy Post Plus
77-6425 Kuakini Hwy Ste C2, Kailua-Kona
- Kailua Candy Company
73-5612 Kauhola St, Kailua-Kona
75-1027 Henry St, Kailua-Kona
- Paradise Business Center
15-2662 Pahoa Village Rd, Pahoa
- UPS Store
75-5660 Kopiko St, Kailua-Kona
- Volcano Island Honey
46-4013 Puaono Rd, Honoka`a
- Waipio Valley Artworks
48-5416 Kukuihaele Rd, Honoka`a
To properly dispose/recycle fire extinguishers please take them to the following locations:
|County of Hawai‘i
Solid Waste Division
|Hilo & Kona Transfer Stations'
Scrap Metal Bin
|Must be EMPTY!||no charge; commercial extinguishers not accepted by law|
|Hilo Fire Extinguisher||Kea‘au||966-7356||Free, only if sold by them|
|National Fire Protection||
or $10.00/unit if sold by them
|Guardian Fire||Waimea||889-0608||$8.00/unit, only if sold by them|
Note: The Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events will not accept fire extinguishers.
The Environmental Protection Agency & County of Hawa‘i both recommend that you return your no longer usable smoke detector to the manufacturer. The address of the manufacturer is usually listed in the product warranty or user's manual. If the smoke detector has an alkaline or lithium ion battery, please remove it and recycle it appropriately.
The County of Hawai‘i's Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events and the County of Hawai‘i landfills and transfer stations are prohibited from accepting smoke detectors.