Time: 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Hilo - Ka Waena Lapa‘au Medical Complex (Upper Parking Lot), 670 Ponohawai St., Hilo, HI 96720
Kona - Hawai‘i Police Department Kealakehe Police Station Parking Lot, 74-0611 Hale Māka‘i Pl., Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) will coordinate a collaborative effort with state and local law enforcement agencies to remove potentially dangerous controlled substances from our nation’s medicine cabinets. The National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day provides an opportunity for the public to surrender expired, unwanted, or unused pharmaceutical controlled substances and other medications for destruction. These drugs are a potential source of supply for illegal use and an unacceptable risk to public health and safety from accidental poisonings and groundwater contamination.
This recurring one-day effort is intended to bring national focus to the issue of increasing pharmaceutical controlled substance abuse and provide a safe, convenient and responsible means of disposing of prescription and over-the-counter drugs.
- The program is free & anonymous.
- Prescription and over-the-counter solid dosage medications, i.e. tablets and capsules accepted.
- Liquid medications - cough medicine with codeine and other over-the-counter liquid medications accepted.
- Injectables (pre-loaded with medication) and needles/sharps/syringes will not be accepted.
- Illicit substances such as marijuana or methamphetamine are not a part of this initiative.
For more information, please visit the National Take-Back Initiative website or the State of Hawai‘i Department of the Attorney General (media release page). Unsure of which location is closest to you? Try the DEA National Drug Take-Back Initiative Collection Site Search service.
National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day website
National Take-Back Initiative collection event media release
State of Hawai‘i Attorney General Office Announcement with locations & times informational flyer
Hawai‘i Police Department Announcement of Drug Take-Back Initiative (TBA)